Overlooking the Potomac River in southern
Prince George's County is Fort Washington,
ten miles downriver from Washington, D.C.
Completed in 1824, it replaced
an earlier fort (Fort Warburton)
built in 1809 and destroyed during the
War of 1812 to prevent it from falling into
British hands. The point on which Fort
Washington and its predecessor were
built was once part of the Digges family
plantation, Warburton Manor. Mount
Vernon is right across the river, and
George Washington dined often with the
Digges family at Warburton house. This
was Fort Washington about 1880, as seen
in an old print. Courtesy of the D.C.
From Prince George's County: A Pictorial History by Alan Virta.
Used with permission of The Donning Company/Publishers.