Addison Chapel (St. Matthew's Church)
5610 Addison Road,
Built in 1810, renovated circa 1905 -- Addison Chapel
is a simple, gable-roof brick chapel with Stick-style
wooden gable decoration. Its walls are laid in Flemish
bond and it rests on a stone foundation with galleting.
Addison Chapel was built as the upper chapel of St. John's
Episcopal Church at Broad Creek, replacing an earlier
frame structure; circa 1905 its roof was raised to the present
steep pitch. It is an excellent example of an early chapel
form. Many prominent individuals of the Bladensburg
area are buried in the cemetery which surrounds the church.
Special thanks to Prince George's County Historic
Preservation Commission, M-NPPC, County Administration Building, 14741
Bowie Drive, Upper Marlboro, MD 20772 (301)952-3520 for permission to
post this page. Images on these pages are copyrighted and should not be
used without author's permission.